Saturday, March 9, 2013

It's 3 P.M. Saturday Afternoon...Where Were You Then?


(image courtesy of DVDDrivein.com)


Like many of you out there, 3 o'clock on a Saturday afternoon meant one thing and one thing only: you were probably parked in front of your TV set, anxiously anticipating when the Saturday Afternoon movie was about to start. for me and many others in NYC, it was on WNYW, Channel 5. It would be years later before I realized this was nationwide. But it was a treasured part of my childhood, as important as G.I.Joes and coloring books. It was EVERYTHING to catch that next flick, almost a religious experience if you will that began with this...


How could you NOT be amped with something like that? It got you keyed up for whatever flicks were to come on. Wasn't until later that I found out the music cue was actually from 'Grease'. That theme will forever be linked to 3 P.M. on a Saturday for me. And I'm glad other websites like DVDDriveIn and folks on Youtube feel the same way. Even the GZA had the theme music as a lead in to a track on his 'Pro Tools' album. Ah, memories...

No comments:

Post a Comment